Friends of the Bluff (FoB) is a group of committed environmentalists providing support, education, awareness and publicity for the physical regeneration of the natural vegetation and habitat of the Barwon Bluff area.
The natural and cultural heritage of the Barwon Heads area is protected and supported by all the community.
Educating and engaging the local and visiting communities to take responsibility for the conservation and protection of the Barwon Heads area.
The main aims of the group are:
- to care for and maintain the remnant natural habitat of the Barwon Heads area, ensuring that something is left for future generations
- to rehabilitate the flora and fauna indigenous to the area
- to encourage community appreciation and responsibility for the natural environment of the Barwon Heads area
The group works in association with the management and staff of the Barwon Coast Committee of Management, Parks Victoria and Coastcare Victoria. We maintain regular contact with major environmental organisations and other regional coast community groups.
To achieve our aims, members are actively involved in partnering sustainable management strategies, implementing weed eradication programs, planting indigenous species, observing bird and animal life, conducting interpretation and education sessions.
FoB are committed to developing programs to promote conservation and preservation of the Bluff and to encourage others to recognise and appreciate this unique coastal landmark.
To date we have:
- Conducted regular working-bees that have removed truckloads of exotic weeds from the Bluff, enabling amazing regeneration of our coastal flora.
- Conducted Weedbuster events and produced weeds brochures
- Regularly conducted Clean Up Australia days in the local area
- Conducted many Tree Planting Days
- Actively campaigned to establish the Barwon Bluff Marine Sanctuary.
- Actively supported the development of the Barwon Estuary Interpretation Centre – the ‘Lobster Pot’ – a community centre promoting environmental, cultural and social heritage of Barwon Heads.
- Co-ordinated the successful environment program of the annual Festival Of The Sea in Barwon Heads. This major event celebrates our connections with the sea and includes seminars, forums, school activities, a sustainable living expo, an enviro-group expo as well as dozens of interactive activities.
- Conducted countless guided activities with school and community groups, and visitors to the area.
- Assisted in monitoring programs such as Reef Watch and Fish Count
- Created the original award winning website and associated CD – 2005 Banksia award for Leadership in Protecting Coastal & Marine Environments; 2005 Victorian Coastal Council Award for Excellence in Education.
- Produced three walking guide booklets – Life on the Edge; Plants that Clothe the Bluff and Birds of the Bluff
- Created the award-winning Barwon Bluff App – 2013 Victorian Landcare/Coastcare Award
- Assisted other groups in producing booklets based on our concept and design
- Produced a variety of postcards based on images from the three booklets
- Conducted the Re-Moonah-ation Program
Contact us for further information about Friends of the Bluff Inc.